Few artists can match James Blake’s slick soulful electronica and his new song titled “Retrograde” is no exception. It feels like a natural continuation of “Limit To Your Love” and “The Wilhelm Scream”, although he’s less concerned with putting emphasis on the lower register, giving his vocals more room to breathe. The song is once more a stunning take on post-modern blues, with a chant-y, hymn-like refrain on top of a lovely lo-fi piano loop. He has most certainly matured as a songwriter, even if it’s less adventurous than some of his previous singles. “Retrograde” certainly sets the tone and hightens the expectations of Blake’s follow-up titled Overgrown. Out on the 8th of April via Republic.
- Stream: James Blake, “Retrograde (Radio Rip)” (thefader.com)
- James Blake – Retrograde (dayandadream.com)
- listen to the new James Blake single, “Retrograde” (brooklynvegan.com)
- James Blake announces new album, ‘Overgrown’ (brooklynvegan.com)
- james blake announces new album (dimestoresaints.wordpress.com)