I have to admit that 2002’s Sea Change was the latest time I gave a Beck album a front to back spin, but the more I listen to “I Won’t Be Long” the more convinced I am that it’s once again worth considering what the now 42 years old oddball has to offer. He’s reportedly putting out two albums this year, one acoustic and one proper follow-up to 2008’s Modern Guilt. Musically, “I Won’t Be Long” is powered by a dirty irresistible bass line that could have been lifted of Deerhunter’s Microcastle, while presenting some of his most welcoming and accessible songwriting for over a decade. It’s unclear if “I Won’t Be Long” or the drum-heavy electro-psych of “Defriended” will be featured on an album, but it shows that Beck’s still has lot more to offer as an artist.
- Beck – “I Won’t Be Long” (stereogum.com)
- New Beck song called ‘I Won’t Be Long’ leaks online (deathandtaxesmag.com)
- Beck Returns With A New Track, “Defriended” [@beck] (dayandadream.com)
- Beck Debuts New Track, “I Won’t Be Long” [First Listen] (wxrt.cbslocal.com)
- Beck planning two new albums (contactmusic.com)
- New Music: Beck- I Won’t Be Long (majormajorblog.wordpress.com)