Portland’s Pure Bathing Culture are going to drop their highly anticipated debut album on the 20th of August, but in the meantime they’ve just released their second offering “Dream The Dare” that follows in “Pendulums” elusive footsteps, reaching for the same drifting textures and shimmering guitar play, but possibly with an even stronger and more memorable refrain. And while there are plenty of familiar strains, at times evoking some distant memory of Cocteau Twins and Fleetwood Mac, or at times Beach House’s haunting melodies, the duo never fails to be moving or imaginative. Sarah Verspille’s warm folksy vocals are a true pleasure to encounter, making me almost forget that dream-pop have just about played out all its cards.
Pure Bathing Culture’s debut album is titled Moon Tides and will be released through Partisan Records.
- Pure Bathing Culture – Dream The Dare: New music (guardian.co.uk)
- Band To Watch: Pure Bathing Culture (stereogum.com)
- New band of the day: Pure Bathing Culture (No 1,524) (guardian.co.uk)
- Pure Bathing Culture (mems. of Vetiver) on tour, playing NYC tonight, releasing debut LP (dates & streams) (brooklynvegan.com)
- I Break Horses – Denial (ifoundmusic.com)
- Georgian Waters – Dead In No Time (ifoundmusic.com)
- listen: “pendulum” – pure bathing culture (70dayweekend.com)