Curxes, CHVRCHES and now CRUSHES, it’s increasingly hard to tell these names apart. It doesn’t help that these acts move in similar fields – with all three being female-fronted outfits dedicated to elegant and dynamic electro-pop. Other than that, there is plenty to tell CRUSHES apart. For one, they are from the other side of the Atlantic; secondly, they move in a significantly more allusive and hypnotic pace.
“Heartache”, their latest and arguably most accomplished composition to date, displays a more traditionally pop oriented approach than their former singles. A beat-less nocturnal intro give way to crashing waves of synthesizers with the vocals floating along in beautiful synchrony. There isn’t a clear sense of where the verses end and the refrain begins; all oscillates effortlessly in and out of each other to a crisp and maximized production without ever loosing focus.
- Pr0files – Call Yourself A Lover (ifoundmusic.com)
- CHVRCHES – The Bones Of What You Believe (ifoundmusic.com)
- Crushes Blend Indie & Electronica With “Heartache” [Free Download] (youredm.com)
- Friday Lovin’: the Chvrches (yes, They Deserve Capitals) (taylastrauss.wordpress.com)
- HAERTS – Hemiplegia [Brooklyn, US] (thewanderlustfm.wordpress.com)
- Great Good Fine Ok – You’re The One For Me (ifoundmusic.com)